Bl. John & Bl. Peter Becchetti

July 3rd

Blessed John and Blessed Peter were cousins who, entering the Augustinian Order, made their profession vows in the monastery of Saint Augustine in Fabriano (Ancona), Italy.

It is said that Blessed John was a relative of Thomas Becket. Blessed John had been a professor at Rimini, became a bachelor of theology in 1385. According to the Augustinian, Bartholomew of Venice, Blessed John “commended by his reputation for knowledge and his way of life.” That very same year he was assigned to study at Oxford, England, where he obtained the degree of master of theology. Shortly after his return to Italy in1391 he was named Master of the House of studies in Perugia. The last documentary evidence of his life is a letter written to him by the prior general on 7 May 1420.

In 1385 Blessed Peter studied in Padua for the degree of lector. In 1338 he was appointed professor in the Augustinian house of studies in Rimini. While there the prior general appointed him as visitator to investigate complaints that had been received concerning this house. From there he was appointed professor in Venice and from there in 1393, because of his great devotion to the Lord’s passion, went on pilgrimage to the Lord’s sepulcher in the Holy Land. According to the records of the Augustinian Order, the last known date of his life is 20 February 1421, when the prior general wrote him a letter which is found in the Registers of the Priors General.

Both John and Peter died at Fabariano and their mortal remains are exposed for the public veneration of the faithful in the church of Saint Augustine. Their memory is celebrated by Augustinians on 3 July.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close